You are here
To serve the community as the premier, comprehensive program that fosters and promotes music industry professions from technical production, songwriting to artist management and music publishing.
- To provide a trained workforce in the interconnected fields of production technology, music industry business, and artistic creativity.
- To serve the need to create an environment and infrastructure in Hawai‘i that encourages the creation and development of innovative ideas and their conversion into products and services that can be marketed nationally and globally, returning economic benefits to the state.
- To provide practical, professionally focused education for students to prosper in diverse work environments to reach their individual, academic and professional goals.
- To provide a comprehensive music training center capable of serving students on both O‘ahu and neighbor islands.
- To provide the State of Hawai‘i with a training center to serve the music and entertainment community composed of artists, studio technicians, producers, publishers, entertainment attorneys, and other music and entertainment-related occupations.
- To establish Hawai‘i as the premier Pacific Basin training center for music business and production, thus promoting the economic development of the state.
The MELE Advisory Council
Members of the MELE Advisory Council are leaders in the field, nationally as well as locally, including top record company executives, Grammy winners, educators, and philanthropists. The council will enable MELE to broaden its community reach, cultivate relationships, and will provide guidance in areas such as workforce needs, internship and practicum providers, and student placement.
The purpose of the Advisory Council is as follows:
- To serve and promote the best interests of the College.
- To advise the college chancellor and program on the long-term educational needs of the area served by the college and on other matters central to the mission of Honolulu Community College and the MELE Program.
- To serve as liaison between the college and area employers in order to facilitate assessment of employment, training and educational needs of the service area.
- To promote the college’s programs and services among the communities and constituencies in the college’s service area.
Current Advisory Council Members include:
Ms. Leah Bernstein and Mr. Jon DeMello
President and CEO
The Mountain Apple Company
Mr. Charles Brotman
President/CEO Palm Records
Dr. Wesley A. Bulla
Dean, Belmont University
The Mike Curb College of Entertainment and Music Business
Mr. Jeff Edmondson
Mr. Gaylord Kalani Holomalia
Studio Manager, Island Sound Studios
Mr. Christopher Lee
Founder, Academy for Creative Media
University of Hawai’i at Manoa
Mr. Jim Ed Norman